Sunday, May 30, 2010

Past Vs Present

I was going through my older posts, the ones at the beginning, the ones that inspired me to start this blog because I felt I wanted to tell people these things.

I was such a different girl then. Less confused, more aware of my strengths and weaknesses, more honest and brutal about where I stood.

B-school changed me? Taught me how to project an image? I don't know, I have strictly maintained that I have remained honest all along and never pandered to the image-game. But maybe that's an image too.

I was less cynical. Also, the kind of person who believed that anybody else being good, even great, does not mean you are any less. There is place for everybody under the sun. Life as I know it today seems to instinctively suggest that it is a zero-sum game and if I am to save myself from thinking and acting as per that, I need to be wary, guard against getting over-competitive.

Less cynical, I mentioned that. I was more inclined to admire people, accept their ambition and marvel at their brilliance. Where did that go, replaced by a cynicism that questions whether the people who have it all, really deserve it, or whether they really have it all in the first place.

Let me correct it. Let me publicly register admiration for the success of some people/groups of people I have been in-two-minds about at some points in time earlier -
1. Aishwarya Rai - She did do quite well for herself, talent or no talent. And that in itself, is a talent. To be smart enough to know what works for you.
2. Consultants - Difficult lifestyle, to be on the go like that, to gel with the client and its way of working and make oneself useful. Underneath all the B-school shroud of glitz and glamor, a profession that has its place in the sun, it's utility in the food chain. I know some people who are doing great work, learning lots and enjoying themselves too.
3. Sachin Tendulkar - Yes, I know he is a great cricketer and all that. But beyond that, his attitude is what makes him such a legend. Unassuming. And eternal.
4. Angelina Jolie - So I love Jennifer Aniston. But Angelina Jolie has the x-factor. Something about her makes her stand out. Her confidence maybe. Her work with the UN. Her incessant adopting. Her devil-may-care attitude. And she is a good actress to boot.
5. The Tata group - No organization is without its drawbacks. Corruption is like bacteria, it does not require much to survive and multiply. But the Tata group and its stalwart status has survived all that and stands tall today in the world arena - Tetley, Land rover and Jaguar, Corus. The many sectors they are present in in India, and the fact that they have such a strong nationalist image - cannot be just a cleverly-crafted mirage. The name of JRD Tata invokes respect and Ratan Tata has managed to sustain it.

In other news, a ring has been booked. It feels weird and new, that such a thing could be happening to me. I mean, I am still a kid (Not really, I am going to hit the 30's in a couple of years) but it feels like such a grown-up thing! He will tell me that I am an attention-shark and that is what all blog-writers are, as per him, but it makes me so happy, how can I not mention it?

In other non-flashy news, went for Anusmaran. Met people, ate the bizarrely expensive food and came back.

Also, at the verge of shifting houses. Half the packing is done and tonight is my final night in the present acco. It was great fun, being in the heart of Bandra - the room with no view. And not even a bed. Well, nothing much changes. My new home is also pretty much in the heart of B, has no view again and probably will not have much room for a bed. The only difference is that I shall be living all by myself now - which has been my dream since I was an adolescent bemoaning the lack of privacy in an all too crowded family of four. Like all things in life, a dream remains alluring only till when it comes true.

300 sq feet and a fortune for that. Such is life in this megalopolis if you want to live anywhere within cycling distance of someplace to restore the overwrought nerves at - not that I cycle. I never learnt to. Yes, there, I have said it.

What else. The mood of this post has got decidedly jauntier by the word. Such is the power of positive thinking. And love.

6 comments:

Kavity said...

Wow! Great news! Congratulations :) :)
Positive attitude and love :) Three cheers to that!

Yogesh said...

First, congratulations :)

Second, amazing post! Something which many of us dwell on when we are fed up with all the fakeness

"B-school changed me? Taught me how to project an image?"
B-School changes everyone. Maybe that is why people go there in the first place

"He will tell me that I am an attention-shark and that is what all blog-writers are"
:)


"went for Anusmaran. Met people, ate the bizarrely expensive food and came back"
I would have gone - but when I figured that this is actually a fund-raiser for future consultants and i-bankers, I decided not to go!

The Soul of Alec Smart said...

Oh, great news. And getting used to the ring will seem like a breeze once the "Husband" word enters life. Was nice to see you guys at Anusmaran too. Btw, he is absolutely right.. we ARE all attention seekers, boss. I disagree on the consultants thing though.. consulting is going to be announced illegal once I get a small country to myself - like betting or drug peddling.

Part of this post is so uncannily similar to what I said recently: http://adarkcomedycalledlife.wordpress.com/2010/05/26/redux/

Told ya I seek attention :)

Chattz said...

Congrats !!!

Shreya said...

Thankee people!

Deepa and Srinath said...

Super dooper !!! Best wishes for the positiveness and love to continue beyond time :-)