Sunday, February 06, 2011

Chronicles of a shameless bride-to-be


Of course it has been too long. And don't tell me you didn't miss me.

Somehow, I don't feel like writing so much nowadays. While trying to make output a significant multiple of input in the machine that is my life, I let the music pass by.

Writing is like music. It is no surprise then that the times I feel like writing the most, when the desire grips me like a heart attack are when I am watching something sublime or when I am listening to some great music or when my brain cells are mildly soaking in alcohol.

Yes, the good life. The good life makes me want to take to the pen with a vengeance and churn out philosophy and literature. 

While on the subject of music, it is a gift to be able to get this affected by it. Not everyone is. And I sort of feel sorry for them. Music to me is more than just something pleasant to listen to. It defines my moods, takes me routinely to my happy places, inspires me, provides an uplifting force when I am Down in the D's.

Back to more mundane things, shaadi preparation is languishing and I am not able to bring myself to do anything about it. It is a good thing then I don't have to do much. The honeymoon location has been settled upon and not much progress has been made beyond it. Ankit thinks that I am the biggest free-rider that ever lived and I quite agree with him on that. He tried very hard to make me take a constructive interest in planning it out and I did comply. I lugged around a copy of the Lonely Planet for a while, and I did zero in on the places we should go to. Now it's his job to make that happen, innit? Work-wise this is the year when I am going to set myself on fire. Like they say - Success is not a result of self-combustion, it is the consequence of setting yourself on fire; and I believe I need that kind of success to be able to give it up someday with the satisfaction of been there and having done that well. Wonder of wonders, I am losing weight as well. A result of drastic changes in eating habits I am sorry to say, and not a healthy well-exercised body. But I have tried so hard to put in the right process for so long, it just does not work out. What with shuttling between office and travel and JVLR, gymming is a distant dream. Well, I should have a bit more stability in my life once there aren't two homes to toggle between and then I shall valiantly take it up again. For now, this will have to do. Nobody wants to see a pudgy bride.

And then there is the usual reading, watching movies and totally living it up on the weekends happening. Have been getting back in touch with some long lost pals - school friends, only to happily realize that not much has changed. And here is a theory - kids who perform well in school tend to continue to perform well all throughout life. They find rewarding pursuits like banking, business management, high-flying consulting and marketing careers and do as well at those as they did at their geography and algebra. The seeds of confirming to conventional standards of success sown early bear fruit all through. Well, congratulations to us.

On another rather fruity note, I have also become quite the winophile off-late. Vodka mixed with red bull in paper cups is a distant memory. Tis Merlot and Sauvignon which do it for me now. I do manage to lead a good life when I am not prancing around in a sack or clothes which look like that in some rat-infested godown, you see.

7 comments:

The Soul of Alec Smart said...

You say nobody wants to see a pudgy bride, and I say ouch!! Because for me, that ship has so sailed, my friend ;)

Anyway, like everyone else around you, here's some muft wedding planning advice: Don't sweat the small stuff.

Also, YOU are NOT pudgy. Eating right is however good for all of us. So chill out and enjoy the good life. *Clink*.

Shreya said...

Haha. I know I am a little paranoid abt my weight because I seem to put it on so easily!! And sweating the small stuff toh duur ki baat hai, I am not even sweating the biggies. But I remember your advice - to plan a good honeymoon, it will help you through the insanity that weddings usually are. I am totally going to follow that muft advice :)

PhiraHuaDimaag said...

Yes Shreya Ji, Kindly FOLLOW the muft advice. Freerider number 1.

Kandarp said...

Congratulations on the marriage !
Super analogy of writing and music :)

Kavity said...

'Pudgy bride': Over-exaggeration would be an under-statement.
You, free-rider? Cannot believe! I still remember those project meetings that would start on time to the T because of the leader-fighter-insighter Shreya Prakash.

Madhurjya (Banjo) Banerjee said...

:) :) :) Well you are almost there. The rural Maharashtra and Merlot come together in great harmony or is that irony? :)

Shreya said...

@Kandarp - Thanks :)
@Kavity - Arre I hate planning for these things, travel agents, visa, tickets, transportation, etc.
@SFS - Merlot and MSA - great combination I say :)