Tuesday, August 15, 2017

Death & Despair


I think often
Of death, despair
Always around
This morbid pair
I think of them
In the dappled sunlight
As people around bustle
Upbeat & bright
I think of them
Under glossy moonlight
As them lovers sigh
And the poets write
I think of them
As a rainbow smiles
Lighting up the skies
For miles & miles
I think of them
Eating cake no less
It makes me mad
I must confess
They're always there
Whispering in my ear
Reminding me
Of things to fear
Of lives gone awry
In a second or two
Of things uncontrolled
That could happen to you
As I shut my eyes
And lock these cares within
I think of the futility
Of this human thing
This thing we have going
Where we long & yearn
Day in and out
We tumble & churn
We naively think
Our problems matter
A job, a fight
Some mindless chatter
And maybe they mean well
My terrible twins
They remind me to look
For happiness, for wins
They tell me to rise
To count & treasure
Everything that I have
In abundant measure
So I count on my fingers
I count on my toes
And I find my joys
Far surpass my woes
And I thank you death
You too, despair
I thank this sad wisdom
That brings cheer to my lair

No comments: