Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Use Detergent/Wear Sunscreen

I met a woman the other day. And asked her about her favorite ads on television as a way to get some more ‘insight’ into what she was all about. Rather what her ‘attitude towards shopping’ was all about. Yes, that is of paramount importance to me nowadays.


She thought for some time, while I waited with a cultivated look of pleasant encouragement on my face. After some time, she said she liked the Pepsi ad featuring Mahendra Singh Dhoni best.


I laddered.


She described the ad. Minister ka beta. Line mein ghus jata hai. Dhoni kehta hai. Pyaas honi chahiye.


Why does she like the ad. What does it mean.


I laddered some more.


She said. Zindagi mein aage badhna ke liye pyaas honi chahiye. Yeh baat humko achhi lagi is ad mein.


This amazingly complex country.


In a village called Etaunja in Uttar Pradesh

Lives a woman, like every other woman

She goes out in ghoonghat

And runs the home with a measure tape

But she watches and she dreams

Thirsty dreams of unfettered flight

Aspiring India of the glorious ambitions

Your children go to school in collars of impeccable white.

2 comments:

Madhurjya (Banjo) Banerjee said...

This is not perhaps a complex country. In fact, I believe it is not. The people here are really simple. the needs too are simple. What makes this country unique is the fact that this is a country with a billion dreams and aspirations.

Karan said...

I guess hunger is passe.. It should now be "Stay Thirsty, Stay Foolish " :)