Friday, June 25, 2010

Glee

Things are looking wonderful. (Almost). My parents are getting here tomorrow, we are attending Bua's and Chhote Papa's 25th wedding anniversary and then I am heading off with them to Delhi. But that is not all. From there, I shall go to Patna for a few days. After eleven years. Hard to believe it has been that long. I can picture that place in my head like it was just yesterday.

And still, that is not all. My parents are meeting Ankit this weekend and I am thrilled. It will be good to watch him squirm.

I just finished reading 'The Kite Runner' and I think it is well written, but I failed to experience the protagonist's pain. The protagonist as a child commits an act of betrayal towards a friend, whose loyalty towards him remains as staunch as ever even after the incident, and he lives to regret it everyday of his life. I know only too well how disproportionately big all the silly worries of childhood seem, and this is not even a silly thing that he does - it does have immense grief value, but even so, the ghost of this incident at every point in his life and him thinking that it is equivalent to having a hidden past and a terrible secret, is a little hard to digest. I also think the book drags a little in the end.

There I go, critiquing away to the high heavens. I guess I was expecting more. The descriptions of Afghanistan are breathtaking though. That and the stomach-clenching tales of the Taliban. Cannot believe such violence exists. And such bigots breed in our midst. I wonder what the Universe is playing at? Is there really no concept of divine justice? Nature's fury?

On the work front, this week I had to let a guy from my team go. I mean, I had to sack him. Don't feel good about it. I wish I didn't have such responsibilities. I am not capable of taking them lightly. I work myself up trying to beat the balance between encouraging my guys and kicking their butt when they don't deliver. At the end of it, I just want to have made the right decisions, not just for the business, but also for them. And sometimes, it is not one and the same thing.

Well, what with all this, have started feeling like a million years old. No, really, like there isn't any room for mistakes. Like the phase is past when I could call myself a beginner, a newbie, bound to - nay - expected to, make mistakes. I know that mistakes made by me now are not just going to affect me but many other people also. And the knowledge of that still takes my breath away.

Hmm..let me not end this post on a solemn note, what started out as happy. So here is a brief description of my room.

My room looks pretty. I have a television set, on which I have put my Oktoberfest hat. The television sits on a table for which I am thankful as I have stuffed, no, aesthetically arranged my books on the racks inside it. Had there been no room inside this table, my books would have been gathering dust inside some ugly brown carton. There is a tiny cupboard next to this television-table ensemble (everything is tiny in my room, like it was made for Hobbits) on top of which, due to lack of other places to keep them in, I have kept a few soft toys (all gifts, I find myself clarifying) along with various perfumes (gifts again), massage oils (I bought them - fancy - I know), free deos and facewashes (I do have some perks, few and far between though they are) and other assorted items. This cupboard is a pretty brown color too, like caramel. Next, there is a knee-high glass-topped wooden table on the other side of the television, with an in-built drawer which serves as my DVD store. On top of the table, I have carelessly flung my Red Bull mat (the one that we flicked from Geoffrey's in Bangalore) and a Scrabble set. On the space in between the glass top and the drawer, resides my Shakrukh-Khan-coffee-table-book (It was a birthday gift from him and I am pretty sure lugging it around was the final straw on the camel's back, quite literally as my back started to play up soon after. But oh. Did I forget to mention that I love it and will take that book to my grave and no, not because of SRK?).

So there's a corner of my room, all described. I rather liked describing it. I have always wondered how authors of serious novels describe the simplest of things in so much detail. I don't even know the English (or Hindi) names of half the things around me. For example, what do you call those things that curtains have, the ones by which they hang on rods? I am sure Hosseini could write a page on them.

6 comments:

The Soul of Alec Smart said...

Oooh, keep us updated on the Meet The Parents episode.

The description of your room sounds so much like a single person's room - I'm envious :)

And yeah, about romantic descriptions, I need to tell you this. I was in class IX when I described 'wrinkes' as 'papery folds and nomadic creases on her otherwise baby-soft skin' in my English exam. My teacher's comment: "What are you? Robert Frost? Please be crisp."

PhiraHuaDimaag said...

Love it :)




P.S. Squirming already

Kavity said...

:) Nice! Let us know soon how the meet went!
By the way, try Thousand Splendid Suns. Quite heart wrenching actually. On second thoughts, to continue your good mood, maybe you should not read it.
All the best :)
Hoping to catch you in Mumbai sometime next month

amrit said...

the white plastic rings with hooks? I think they are simply called hook-rings may be. I also think it was Darshit who introduced me to this blog and girl, you write well.

Baishakhi said...

pictures from the 25th anniversary look cute :) especially of the fraud kneel & give flowers one :D :D

@kavity: i did not like "a thousand splendid suns" so much.. heart wrenching i know.. but somehow too cliched, too much of how the outside world would view afghanistan.. maybe i've become too sensitive to the outsider vs insider perspective these days, being away from the motherland and all!

Shreya said...

@Alec - That's a beautiful way to describe wrinkles! Nomadic creases :)
@PHD - Now your turn!
@Kavity - Yes, have to read that
@Amrit - Thanks :)
@Boisakhi - Yes, it happens only in pictures :)