Wednesday, June 30, 2010

The heat is on

Delhi is radiating heat. I, one who spends close to one-third of the month in the burning haze of Northern Maharashtra (places like Jalgaon etc, where the Jal in Jalgaon can be interpreted as burn and also ironically as water), bow down to the Surya dev and plead with him to leave this city alone. Yes, even if it peoples folks such as it does.

I am on leave and struggling with the concept. The mind is not at ease, it is thinking of all the stuff that is piling up silently and ominously on the side, like a tottering tower of Pisa.

The meet with the parents went well. Actually, very well. Like I remarked to somebody recently, the problem with that boy is that he does not have a bit of vice in him (except for narcissism, which I condone, seeing how it is my Achilles heel) and hence comes across as extremely accommodating and ernest. Well, parents have a liking for that kind of thing and they took a shine to him. Not that I had any doubt, but phew.

Apart from that, have been watching a lot of tv. Finished reading this book called The Unbearable Lightness of Scones - Alexander McCall Smith. Funny sort of book. First hand accounts from various characters, all Scottish, and consisting of mostly only conversations. Next on the list is the Meluha book - having heard so much about it and it being on the premises, how with my sister being gifted with a copy.

Speaking of books, the other day I was thumbing through an Oscar Wilde play (I have made The complete works of Oscar Wilde my read-in-Landmark book. Every time I go to Landmark and that is quite often, I continue from where I had left off) and I came across this intriguing idea.

So basically it says that while men love women with all their flaws and sometimes, because of the flaws, women love men because of the good in them. In fact, most of us play up the men in our lives to be better than they actually are, putting them on a pedestal so to speak (that would explain my comments earlier about you-know-who, heheheh) and then obviously, nobody is that perfect. Hence, women are more liable to feel hurt and such like, when their dream-world comes crashing down. I do agree. I feel we women don't have too strong a grip on reality. We are floating somewhere in between our fantasy worlds (comprising and because of, all the movies we watch, stories we hear, books we read) and ground zero. Every young girl has a version of her Mr Right and some fortunately grow up and realize that he does not exist before there is any lasting damage, some don't.

In that way, women seem to be more impressionable than men. Men to me, seem to be ambling through life, letting all its barbs and stabs slide over their rough hide, simplistic and naive whereas women are constantly hyperventilating all those barbs into a conspiracy by the Universe.

What do you think?

6 comments:

PhiraHuaDimaag said...

I think your comments about 'you-know-who' were not exaggerated :D at all! :D

P.S. A woman's idealism actually comes from all the reading a woman does (uncle oscar being an example) as opposed to guys who do relatively less reading and hence ignorance is bliss.

Kavity said...

I do agree. The lasting damage is done when the min ceases to fantasize any more, refuses to come back to ground reality too, ad rather becoms a cynic. It is a scary area that.

@Phirahuadimag:
Not at all exaggerated am guessing, for she told me the same thing over an SMS too, with a lot of conviction :)

@Both:
Super like on the meeting having gone well :)

Baishakhi said...

:) I used to have read-in-landmark books as well.. miss that now.. people here dont stroll around bookshops.. they just buy what they want and head out!!

and yeah, women are much more complex beings than men are, with infinitely higher expectations of those around them.. I remember from my sharing with flatmates days, how much trouble we women had with adjusting to trivial (in hindsight) things like who cooks and who cleans and who gets to the shower first and how much politics and gossips and ego-battles we had, whereas the guys would just shrug their shoulders and move on, not even thinking it was something worth bothering..

pRasad said...

I feel man will always look for better..He wants flawless woman.. while woman will accept man with flaws , because she HOPEs , he will chane or she will able to change him.

I liked this para- ' I feel we women don't have too strong a grip on reality. We are floating somewhere in between our fantasy worlds and ground zero. '

This is what I feel.. otherwise why would beautiful, sane girl will go behind womanizer kind of guy ?..then she gets married to him which ultimately turns into divorce..

Yogesh said...

I suddenly like Oscar Wilde all the more! :)

Completely agreer!

Da Rodent said...

But most often the flaws that women see in men may not seem as flaws to men :P